Friday, August 10, 2007

Hills, Big Hills & Even Bigger Hills


Day two of the Pan Hope Ride was one of the most challenging rides I have ever done. The first 48 miles had us riding over some of the hilliest country in Ohio. There were times today that I rode 7 miles an hour uphill and then down hill at 39 miles per hour. The speed range was amazing. The biggest hill took us up a 300 foot elevation over a quarter mile. At the bottom of this hill I dropped down into my easy geared and pushed down on the pedals. When I came to a plateau point where the road split I turned left to continue on our route and looked up only to realize that what was ahead was much steeper than what I had just climbed. I am not too proud to say I walked up that one. At the top I looked back; jumped back on the bike and continued to the next hill. Only about four riders rode up that hill. I have come to understand why sprinters do not win the Tour de France. I train on flat terrain and while I felt prepared to traverse "rolling hills", I was not ready for these. These were definitely NOT rolling hills, but foot hills and included short, steep climbs and long windy descents. There is nothing near where I trained that could have prepared me for this. I am half way through and feeling proud of what I have done. The most challenging part of the ride is behind me. Tomorrow we have 78 miles of mostly flat riding. Bring it on! I am ready to conquer day three!!

No comments: