Sunday, August 12, 2007

Becoming a Family




Fourth and last day of the Pan Hope Ride. We came to Cleveland as strangers but leave as a family. By today we had covered over 200 miles. We had tired legs, sore butts, and depleted energy. Evidence that we had become a family began early on and has been very evident the past two days. Last night we all waited by the finish line and refused to go to dinner until our last two riders had arrived. We had become a family. Today we were going to pull everyone through....no matter what. We grouped up, we cheered each other on and we waited two miles from our finish until everyone had arrived so we could all ride into the Hope Lodge as one. We had become a family! This experience was not unlike what my family faced on seven different occasions with cancer. When our family member was stricken with the battle for their life we all filled in and played various roles to pull everyone through. We did not leave each others' side. The last ten miles into Cincinnati included a number of hills that felt much worse given the 95 plus temperatures and legs that had 280 plus miles on them. But as I approached the meeting area I could hear the cheers of those who already arrived and that pulled me through. Once I arrived I joined the cheering riders waiting for the next set of riders to arrive. The paramedics who followed the last set of riders radioed to our group that the last two riders were on Erie street. We all stood and began waiting until we could see them crest the hill so we could cheer them on. We had become a group of riders not individuals riding in the Pan Ohio Hope Ride. Once everyone had arrived at the meeting spot we grouped up to ride into the Lodge together.
Arriving at the Hope lodge was a very emotional experience. Tears and hugs were abundant as we celebrated being pioneers for a cause that we all deeply believe in and have been touched by at least once in our life time. I leave on my ride back to Cleveland a different person than I was four days ago because I was able to ride farther and faster than I ever had before, but more so because of the people with whom I shared the journey.

No comments: