Friday, July 11, 2008

Twist of Fate


Back in March when I sat at my computer and picked four dates representing when I wanted to go to Cleveland to watch the Indians, I contemplated more carefully one date: July 11, 2008. Back in March, this game looked to be a game between a first place and a last place team. I wondered what kind of game it would really be. The Indians were picked to contend again in the A.L. Central (go Tigers). The Ray (newly renamed from the Devil Rays) were picked dead last. But, baseball b
eing baseball, I decided that on any given night anything can happen.  "Click" Purchased. And, well.......here it is July 11, 2008 and this was a game between a first place team and a last place team.  However, the first place Rays were taking on the last place Indians who had just traded their ace, C.C. Sabbatha to the Brewers for a "future". It appears that the owner have given up on this season.  So all day I wondered, "what kind of game am I going to see tonight?" But tonight was my now. The good news was that the "new ace" was on the mound this evening. Cliff Lee, demoted last year to the minors, was now the ace of the Indians staff. I had seen him pitch back and June (see earlier blog). Tonight he was our hope for an Indians victory. And besides, if the game didn't yield fireworks, the Indians were putting on fireworks after the game - so either way - I would be entertained. The game proceeded better than hoped. Cliff Lee pitched six shutout innings to claim his 12th win of the season. He is leading the majors in wins and has been announced as a member of the American League All Star Team.  Jhonny Peralta homered and drove in three runs as the Indians won their second straight again the Rays.  Others who hadn't performed well earlier this season, contributed to the victory. For example, Ben Francisco doubled in the 5th and Jamey Carroll had an RBI single in the 7th to contribute to the shut out. If these two young players get hot, the Indians may not be the last place team they have become since my first visit to Progressive Field in June. Go Tribe! 

No comments: