Thursday, July 10, 2008

Redpoll Update



The Redpoll eggs hatched sometime in the last couple of days. The mother Redpoll had become a bit more "talkative" today and that caused me to pause. While sitting outside she vacated her nest. I peered inside to see four heads pop up. I think they were expecting me to feed them. Image that; naturally they opened their mouths and were ready for food.  Moments later mom returned. as soon as she provided them her food she left. Immediately the father Redpoll appeared and landed on the nest too. Clearly this was a mother and father effort to feed the newborns. I was just fascinated by the team work and timeliness of the mother and father during feeding time. Nature is amazing! The babies are two or three days old. Their eyes aren't quite open. 

No comments: