Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Bird Watching: Red-bellied Woodpecker



Today was another fascinating day watching birds. I would have never thought that "common" bird feeders in my back yard would attract so many species of birds. Today I saw another wood pecker. At first, I thought he was just the male version of the Downey woodpecker that I blogged about earlier. But upon careful observation it became clear to me this bird had some different features. Using my "handy" digital EOS Rebel camera, I was able to capture him while feeding.  After downloading the picture to my computer, I turned to my field guide. After some searching I found that he was indeed a different wood pecker - the Red-bellied woodpecker.  I am slowing beginning to understand how the "name the hockey team" contest yielded "woodpeckers" as a nick name. Thankfully, the public vote between Walleye and Woodpeckers, demonstrated more public support for the Walleye. I can only image hockey players being hooted on the road with a nick name of "wood peckers".  To learn more about the Red-bellied woodpecker, click here.

No comments: