Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bird Watching: The Hummingbird




I have picked up a new hobby this year:  bird watching.  I have always worked on attracting hummingbirds when I lived in northern Michigan. It seemed that the hummingbirds at my house in Michigan were always coming around. It was almost as if they were dependent upon the feeders. Since moving to northwest Ohio, I find attracting hummingbirds a bit more challenging. It appears they have so many more options to choose from. Last year, when landscaping the backyard, I added a trumpet tree. I thought a trumpet tree, coupled with a feeder would help. I was not disappointed. This summer I have been graced by the presence of a hummingbird. However, it wasn't until the 4th of July weekend when I could catch him on film - or in "digital" if you will. This visitor appears to be a ruby-throated humming bird. Here I've captured him both in flight and eating from the trumpet tree.  I find these little guests just amazing. Howe they can expend so much energy and be so graceful is captivating. I look forward to many more visits before he begins his migration south. For more information about the ruby-throated hummingbird, click here.

No comments: