Thursday, July 3, 2008

Rain, Rain Go Away



Another rainy day. However, this was not just a rainy day, but a stormy one also. A storm front came through about 7:45 p.m. tonight. The leading edge of the storm was "beautiful". Yes, beautiful. As I say outside I could watch the storm move in from the west. One of the more "interesting" parts of the front reminded me of a possible tornado.  While I was out taking pictures of the impending front, the local weather station was watching an area that seemed to be producing "rotation". While no Tornado warning was issued, the weather forecaster was watching the area closely. And I can see why.  It was calm out when this picture was taken. The wind was slowly picking up as the front passed. Shortly after this cloud formation moved on the windy and the rain picked up and a wonderful lighting show followed. While my little dog "freaked" by yet another storm, it was beautiful to watch from my safe living room. When it got to much for the dog we headed down stairs and waiting out the night. While it calmed down around midnight it continued to rain off and on all night. I was very aware of the storm as I would periodically be awakened by my Yorkie who was either prancing on my chest or shaking near my head. Clearly, this storm had her in a panic. When I awoke in the morning the air was crisp and clean. I always live the moments after a storm when everything seems "new". The humidity had even lessened. While taking out the dogs, I checked the rain gauge. Wow, I couldn't believe my eyes. It registered 5.5 inches. There is no way that could be right. I was soon to find out that it was right. While riding into work I noticed many "flooded" areas, closed roads and a ton of branches that had fallen from the trees. The local radio station confirmed that rainfall ranged from 5 to 6 inches in the area. Truly, the summer of rain continues. 

No comments: