Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fall is in the Air


Tonight I was able to peddle out 15.5 miles in an hour. The air was crisp. For the first time since May, I used my leg and arm "socks" in addition to my traditional bicycle jersey and padded shorts. I guess dressing the part caused me to notice the little signs of fall. You know.......more and more recently fallen leaves along the side of the road; flocks of geese heading south; hints of color at the edges and tops of the trees and finally color within the bushes along the side of the road. I love this time of year to ride. I can work hard and the cool weather helps me endure shorter, but more intense workouts.  What was ironic tonight was that I saw a ground hog on the side of the road. This ground hog didn't run out in front of me this time, but stayed still and watched me peddle by. I couldn't help think to myself that perhaps this was the same fella who ran out in front of me on June 26th sending me to the ER with a fractured ankle.  Perhaps he stayed still tonight because he "learned his lesson".  Ha! Why the thought?  It was ironically near the place where the first ground hog ran out in front of me and I ended up in the ditch.  Ah, the little wonderful of life on a bike.  

No comments: