Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ducks on the Pond


When I hear that phrase, "ducks on the pond", I generally think of coming to bat with runners in scoring position. Perhaps that conjures up memories of days gone by when I spent my evenings playing softball. My evenings are no longer spent playing softball, but rather relaxing in the backyard, often reading and taking in the sites and sounds of nature. Tonight, I was "treated" to two mallards who decided to make my pool their pond. As is my routine in the evening, I let my terrier out to explore and do her evening business after an afternoon in the cage. Tonight her exploring kicked up two mallards who immediately flew to the pool. While the picture looks tranquil, it was not, as my terrier started to chase the mallards. She quickly discovered they could fly, and she could not. Her enthusiasm to chase the mallards from the pool only led her to find that stopping on concrete is not as easy as it looks. She skidded to a stop and did all she could to ensure that she didn't go swimming. Thankfully as the mallards took off while she stopped short of a splash.

No comments: