Sunday, March 9, 2008

Spring Snow



This weekend we all turned our clocks ahead one hour. As a kid I always associated that with "spring". I definitely know it is not spring after another major snow storm hit the Midwest again this weekend. We, thankfully, only got four inches. But that was enough to produce an absolutely, marvelous day today. A fresh snow, shown off by a bright sun, glistening under a perfectly blue sky invited me out to play. I seized the rare opportunity to strap on the cross country skis and take to the trails. We have some awesome metro parks in this area. We also have some equally wonderful nature preserves. Where to go became the most difficult decision of the day. Today I chose the nearest nature preserve. The sun brought out a beauty unmatched on any other cross country ski trip this year. The trip was one of my shorter trips, and thankfully so with the spring snow. The snow was wet and heavy and sat on top of a watery version of the same, perfect for sticking to the skis. At times this provided a challenge when bogged down by heavy snow and at other times an icy quality allowed for some smooth flowing stretches. Skiing through the preserve I got to experience a number of different habitats including a sedge meadow, a grass meadow, a shrub swamp and the oak invested woods so common to this area. Throughout my trek there was much evidence of wildlife. There were the typical rabbit and squirrel tracks. Deer tracks were less abundant but clearly visible. Birds were everywhere giving me a clear indication that this will quickly become one of my favorite walking trails come summer. It will provide a number of opportunities to view a wide variety of birds.  Often one advantage of the winter defoliation is the evidence of wildlife that becomes visible. Several birds nests peppered the trail. The sights and smells encouraged my winter weary heart. While I enjoyed the exercise I also enjoyed the hint of warmth in the breeze, coupled by the fresh smell that hints of spring. I was soon reminded why cross country skiing in March is so delightful! 

No comments: