Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 5: Amsterdam

Today we had a " cultural day" to explore Amsterdam or other places. We decided to explore the Haag. To get there we took the subway to a train station. We then took a train to Des Haag. Once there we had to locate a map. We wandered into what we though was an information building like we find in the US. However, it turned out to be the Ministry of Space Planning. We spoke with the person on duty about the city and eventually found a map. I am continually delighted about the people's willingness to talk with tourists and strangers and share about their country and the places to see. It strikes me as a sense of pride.

After some conversation we headed to the "centrum" to see if we could locate the parliament building and some museums. We wandered into a sporting goods store. This day the Netherlands soccer team would be playing Japan. Everyone was in their orange gear. It was very much like a college football game. Several of us wanted to find items to take back to children or friends. I was hoping for a warmer coat that displayed the Netherlands colors. Much to my delight I found just the item. Several in my group purchased Netherlands shirts or jerseys or balls. We were decked out in orange for the day.

We walked on coming to the parliament building. We spent some time studying the architecture. I find European buildings to be very beautiful. The center square included a fountain with gold trim that was amazing. From there we managed to find the royal house. The gate was ordained with gold. The house struck me as rather plain compared to the other buildings throughout the city. I could imagine that the slogans of this home was contained within.

By now the Netherlands soccer game was about to begin. We headed to find a pup for lunch and the game. What better way to experience a culture than through their sports. We found a pub that was packed with people, as was all pubs. We ordered and watched. I do not understand soccer as well as other sports, but I can appreciate the athleticism I see. I have watched a number of soccer games in the past as I have taught at two private colleges with very good soccer teams. However, it was soon clear that people in the Netherlands watch soccer very differently than Americans. they cheer plays that I found myself wondering what was so important. I found that in time that they understood the strategy and finer points of the game that I haven't even begun to master. It was very cool! The Netherlands scored a goal early in the second period and the pub erupted! The game ended 1 to 0 with the Netherlands winning. The celebration began.

We decided to leave Des Haag and head to Madurodam. Madurodam is a place where all of the famous buildings from the Netherlands are displayed in miniture. Word can not capture the detail and elegance of these models. The churches and castles were beautiful. They even included the schropol airport. The airplanes moved and made sounds.

We headed back to the hotel from there to rest and pack for our return trip. They day was full of adventure and fun. I am discovering that I enjoy learning about other cultures.

No comments: