Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 2: Amsterdam Part 1

I have found that jet lag is not a problem for me when going to Europe. That is nice because I can integrate into the day and events so much quicker. Today I began my day at the normal time of 6:00 am. I decided to start my day with a run. The place I am staying has a fitness center so I headed there. When I arrived it was closed. I was surprised, but it turned out to be a blessing. I headed out the door and ran on the trail next to the bike path outside the hotel. The morning was cool and very pleasant. I was surprised at all the activity. I am still at awe and a bit jealous of all the bicycles. There were more bikes than cars moving this morning; and I am not including the mopeds. I saw many kids heading to school. They were on bicycles and skate boards and rollerblades. They looked fit and I couldn't help thinking how we Americans could benefit from cycling to work and our kids cycling to school.

I also noticed all of the orange flags and banners representing the Netherland soccer team. Football is big here. That is an understatement. My colleague who arrived earlier than me said that he was here the day Netherland played Findland and that the country stopped. There was no one on the streets. All the pubs with tvs were packed and those without tvs were empty. It was amazing. I can't imagine soccer ever reaching that level in the United States.

I love the active Dutch culture and the canals; the cooler weather and the varied diverse people. I could live here.

No comments: