Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 1: Amsterdam

I arrived in Amsterdam at 10am Netherlands time. This was the first time I have traveled overseas alone. I was surprised at just how typical the airport in Amsterdam was as compared to the countless airports I have been in the US. My luggage beat me to the belt, so I was glad to see it waiting there for me. After retrieving the bag I was off to find a cab. The person I found understood English enough to understand where I needed to go. I was a bit nervous though when he had to pull out his map to find the hotel. None the less he got me there and I checked in early which was a welcomed event. After dome down time in the hotel I ventured out to what was a two mile walk to the centrum (downtown). There I found a sporting goods store decked out in Netherlands gear for the 2010 world cup. I purchased a Netherlands replica soccer jersey to celebrate my trip. Next, I set off to find lunch. Among the numerous restaurants was the Hard Rock Cafe. Had to try it. Amazingly, it was just like the one in Washington DC that we ate at during Memorial weekend. I then made the walk back to the hotel. Finally, the limited sleep from the flight was catching up with me. After a brief nap, our college president call and we finally connected and met up for dinner. Tomorrow begins the conference and a new adventure.

No comments: