Sunday, November 8, 2009

Late Fall Riding

Today was a beautiful day for a ride. Sixty-degrees, sunny, slight breeze and open road. Last weekend I was raking leaves in multiple layers, while today I was on my bike in bike shorts and a short sleeve bicycle jersey. It was one of the most enjoyable 16.5 mile rides of the year. Why? Because it is early November and I was on the bicycle. My last ride, according to the Garmin was October 1st. Last year, my Garmin doesn't record any rides between early October and April. So a late November ride is like a treat. Certainly my body has already made the switch over to "exercise". Throughout the month of October I have running and walking on the treadmill and lifting some weight. I was happy for the ride, but not sure what I was to expect. My heart rate was good and I was able to manage a consistent 15 mph with an average cadence of 70. Not bad for a month "off". More importantly, my mind and spirit was renewed while I soaked up the sunshine and breathed deeply, savoring the moment. One never knows when they will get on the bike again until spring.

No comments: