Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 2: Waldorf, Md & The Mall

We began our day by sleeping in. For us that meant we were up at 7:00 a.m. and ready to leave for the next leg of the journey by 9:00 a.m. The morning was overcast and cool. The weather called for a slight chance of showers throughout the day. We didn't know what that meant, but it was clear the weather forecasters didn't know what that meant either. A prediction of scattered showers wasn't going to keep us off the road.Prior to heading out, we visited the Frederick Harley Davidson dealer. We often visit Harley Dealers to purchase our traditional t-shirt. Each shirt is unique and contains the dealer's "signature" picture. I am at a point where I can't not image owning another t-shirt so I have taken to purchasing the dealer's pin which also features the custom picture. But this trip was for more than the traditional T-shirt or pin; I needed to get my front fender light put back on my fender. Prior to leaving the house yesterday we discovered that the fender light had come off. We disconnected the light from the wiring and taped the wire to keep it from getting wet. However, driving without all possible lights just doesn't feel safe. We all figured it was a 10 minute job, so we thought that stopping at the dealer was a good idea. The dealer took it in, told us it would be an hour, and twenty minutes later it was fixed and ready to go. Of course, that was enough time for us to buy t-shirts and my pin.

So, we were good to go and headed out to find our next Days Inn in Waldorf, Md. Within an hour of leaving Frederick we were in Waldorf. The traffic in the Washington D.C. area is dense. Compared to what we all are use to on a daily basis, the traffic is a challenge. With a little help from my GPS we found our hotel, tucked off the main road. We checked in and met up to take our first ride to the Mall and see the monuments, most important - the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall.

Washington D.C. was about a 15 mile ride from our hotel. Riding into the D.C. for
the first time was special for me. I've flown into Reagan National Airport so many times and each time I enjoyed looking out the window to see
the Washington Monument. However, riding into D.C. on a motorcycle and catching a glimpse of the Washington Monument and the Capitol for the first time was even more special and moving. I feeling a patriotism and love for coun
try was very present. But also a pride. There is a feeling of "freedom" that comes with riding a motorcycle. There
is a connection to my surroundings that I don't get when I am in my car. When I am on my bike I feel like I am riding within the area as when I'm in my car where the car keeps me disconnected to the area. As one bumper sticker says, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand". It defies understanding unless you have experienced it.

Getting from 395 to the mall was a bit more challenging that I expected. Several roads were blocked off for construction and other blocked off in preparation for the Memorial D
ay weekend events. We followed our leader into Dupont Circle. At that point we traveled down Embassy Row. Eventually we found a gas station and pulled up on the sidewalk to compare notes. At that point
I volunteered to lead. I have traveled enough to D.C. to be familiar with the city; and a bit dangerous when it comes to navigating the area. I explained to the group that I'd get them there, but that it wouldn't be the most direct route. I knew that I would be taking them to 3rd street and K and then finding Massachusetts and Constitution Avenue from there. I didn't tell them my plan. So, in the first round-about I lost two of our riders who couldn't get through the light. Remember my blog entry from May 27th about trusting and knowing your leader? Well, I don't usually lead AND running lights in D.C. is a bit more dangerous than in other cities. Two of us kept going. At the next light we agreed to get to the Vietnam Memorial and then we would call the others and help them find us.

We finally got to Constitution and 21st street. Stopped the bike. Got out the phone and there was a text from our
riding buddies. They were at the Smithsonian Castle. Well, getting them to us proved to be a bit m
ore challenging then I expected. First, I had to orient them t
o where they were in proximity to us. Trying to get them to face the Lincoln Memorial and explain to them to head toward that wasn't as easy as I expected. With some persistence we hung up. I was m
ildly optimistic that they would find us and in 10 minutes we saw our riding buddies cruising up Constitution Avenue. With some fancy flagging and waving moves they saw us, made a u-turn and were backing their bikes into a parking spot close by. Finally we were together by the Memorial!

From there we reviewed how we got separated and what we would do in the future. We got much better at trying to communicate a meeting point should we ever get separated.
Each ride we learn something about each other and what to do on our trip. Each tip, each lesson is valuable for making the rides more enjoyable and more important, s
afer!

We took a walk to the Memorial. It was Friday and people were already gathering at the Memorial. Flowers, gifts, notes, and other memorabilia lined the wall. People were rubbing names and taking pictures. Several wreaths were already placed a
t the base of the Memo
rial. While there were hundreds of people, there was silence. The silence was so respectful. It was a very moving first visit to the Memorial. All of us had been to the Memorial before and w
e each commented later that every visit is emotional and special, but no two visits have eve
r been the same.

We walked around and looked at the thousands of bikes th
at were already gathering around the Mall area. We often look for cool additions or paint jobs on bikes. It is fun to look and people watch. Motorcyclists are very friendly people. Everywhere we went we talked. While on our walk, a reporter from TV 7 stopped one of our group. She happened to be a veteran. The reporter asked her several questions about President Obama's absence from Washington D.C. during this Memorial Day weekend. After
she answered h
is questions, he asked her if she would be willing to be interviewed for a story. She did the interview. Later that night, back in our hotel room we were able to watch our friend on TV. You can check out the story by clicking on this TV7 link.

After the interview we headed back to the hotel and dinner. On the way it began to rain. The first rain of the day after scattered showers were predicted. At first the rain was slight, then it stopped, then it began to rain hard for 2 to 3 minutes. After that the rain was light, but steady. We didn't have an opportunity to put on our rain gear as we had just entered the expressway. Once off the expressway we pulled off into a gas station, got gas and put on our rain suits. I skipped the rain suite; I was already drenched. I was happy it was still a warm night and the rain was annoying. I haven't ridden much at night. Nor have I ridden much in the rain. So, here I was; in busy D.C. driving at night in the rain. I was quite nervous. However, the ride back to the hotel was enjoyable. However, I was never so thankful to be at the hotel then when we pulled in that night. We agreed to dry off, change, and get dinner. We soon discovered nothing was open. So we ordered pizza, wings and pasta and watched our friend's interview on TV.

A GREAT first day in D.C.

No comments: