Sunday, April 13, 2008

A "Rite" of Spring

Finally. That was my thought when I left my office at work and descended the circular staircase enveloped by windows. The sun was shinning. The sky was a bright blue. Finally, a night to ride my bicycle. I set my cruse control on the way home to avoid a speeding ticket because I knew I was in a hurry to get home, get changed into my cycling gear, mount my ride and peddle, peddle, peddle. Once home I quickly let my dogs out. They know the routine. They know that look in my eye; the look that says "bring on the bicycle". They are amazingly intuitive; followed their routine, mounted the back of the couch to look out the window for the moment I round the corner on my way out and round the corner on my way back. YES, I live for this! (sorry MLB - the saying is better for bicycling then baseball). I mounted my bicycle, descended the drive way, clipped in and felt the wonderful feeling that comes from the wind in your face and the glide of your feet. The crisp 50 degree aid was marvelous. I rounded the final corner in the housing development and heading west into the sinking sun. I was so grateful for the "flat" terrane. Clearly all the running, weight lifting, elliptical, and stationary bicycling just doesn't provide the same work out as being on the bicycle. I knew I could peddle to my heart's content - or its exhaustion. I was encouraged to see several fellow cyclists along the route. We greeted each other was wide eyes and beaming smiles, "must be their first time out too". The Garmin clearly indicated that my cadence was less than smooth, and my legs didn't quite peddle with the same intensity of fall, but the odometer gloriously reported mile after glorious mile of bliss. At my turn around point I was amazed that I faced the same head wind that I thought I had just battled. Gotta love those open corn fields and swirling spring winds. I purposely choose an east-west route so I could work a little less on the return trip. Tonight it was not to be. However, that did not dampen the wonderful feeling of being back on the bicycle for the first time in many months. As I neared the housing development and the sun moved closer to the horizon, I was sadden that this first ride had to come to an end - then my legs quickly reminded me that tonight I peddled 18 more miles than I had in several months.

No comments: