Friday, April 11, 2008

Alternative Cycling


Today I awoke to a balmy 33 degrees with rain-snow mix. Not a day that would encourage me to get on my bike - either bike. Worse, I had just left 85 degrees and a sunny sky in central Florida. There I found a "fix" for my "bike withdrawal". I took to the seas for some water bicycling. These three wheeled wonders are marvelous on water. While not quite what I had in mind it was a wonderful alternative to sitting around and waiting for bicycling weather. When the beach wasn't an option I took to visiting Harley-Davidson dealers around the central Florida area. One of my favorite locations was "Jim's on the Beach". A little HD apparel shop located along the St. Petersburg Beach area. Here I could renew my longing to ride by selecting from one of the many awesome T-shirts. What is so special about ANOTHER HD T-shirt? The back! While my friends sit and wonder how I could add another T-shirt to my "collection", my HD friends totally get it. I guess the saying, "If I have to explain you wouldn't get it", totally applies. At Jim's on the Beach I found a wonderful T-shirt with a design on the back that displayed a Harley on a surfboard riding the waves. Too cool! Another wonderful location was the HD dealer on Clearwater Beach. Again, just another apparel shop, but the T-Shirts were wonderful. The back design includes a HD bike rolling down a pirates plank toward a beach with a treasure chest filled with "riches". While I was there I made a trek to Lakeland, Florida; my "old" stomping ground while in college (our spring training location for softball) to visit the Harley dealer. While the T-shirts weren't as cool, it was great to have the store pin for my vest. The store pin will be a wonderful reminder of good times, great friends and college! While all of these wonderful adventures were great distractions, they are no substitute for cycling....so I am counting down the days to warmer weather so I can bicycle and motorcycle until my heart is content.

No comments: