Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Becoming An Author




What does it feel like when you finally accomplish a goal? Do you feel that way when you accomplish every goal or are some goals more celebratory than others? I always wanted to get something published. Not sure why, but it was something I wanted to do. And it finally happened! This month my unit on the American Revolution was published by Scholastic Publishing. Whaoo! This was the culmination of a six year journey which began in Washington D.C. one November Saturday. I had just finished making a presentation at a national conference when this wonderful person began asking me many questions about my presentation. Flattered than anyone who care enough to ask so many, in-depth questions I indulged her as long as the questions kept coming. That conversation led to an offer to publish the unit I had just presented. Several drafts later it appeared to be published soon, only to be sidelined because of the elevation of reading and mathematics in the wake of No Child Left Behind. Then one day a year ago I received the long awaited e-mail.....you unit will be published in the fall of 2007. That began a six month working relationship with a teacher and editors as we piloted and polished the final product. Today I can celebrate that product! The wait and work was worth! The joy of receiving a publisher's copy before release was indescribable. I can only thank God and Scholastic for the opportunity. Check it out: TEXT

No comments: