Saturday, July 4, 2009

Photo First:Ruby-throated Hummingbird & Red-headed Woodpecker



Of of my favorite memories from growing up was the annual return of the humming birds. Now, one of my favorite pursuits is the photographing of the humming birds. Just outside my kitchen window grows a trump tree. I compliment the tree with a fuchsia plant. Both are known to attract humming birds. Often my trumpet tree doesn't bloom until late June. Once it blooms, it affords me the opportunity to photograph the humming birds that daily visit the blooms. My first photo opportunity this year resulted in this picture of the female Ruby-throated Hummingbird. She is sitting on the fuchsia plant. I have never seen, let alone photograph a hummingbird sitting still.  To learn more about the Ruby-throated hummingbird click here.  Another first that day was a infrequent visitor to my backyard, the red-headed wood pecker. He comes for a couple of days and then disappears for long periods of time. Just when I wonder if he'll come back he reappears for a day or two. Catching him with my camera has been another goal of mind for the summer. Here is appears in his favorite tree as he spies out the peanuts and suet that I set out to entice him closer to my window. To learn more about the Red-headed Woodpecker click here. 

No comments: