Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

When was Rutherford B. Hayes president? I enjoy visiting historical sites and reading about history. I am also interesting in doing more historical research. The problem is time. Trying to fit time to explore my historical research interest in with the research and scholarship for my job, my other interests (bicycling, birdwatching and baseball just to name three) is a challenge. However, this week I had the amazing opportunity to spend the week at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center to study the 
Gilded Age thanks to the Hayes Presidential Center and the National Endowment for the Arts. During the week I was able to hear lectures given by some of the top historians on Gilded Age. Additionally I was able to learn around some of the amazing literature of the Gilded Age from Mark Twain and Henry George scholars. Now, I was sure you would know when Hayes was president as his election was talked about frequently after the 2000 presidential election when George W. Bush defeated Al Gore. Hayes was president from 1877 to 1881. Known as "His Fraudulency", Hayes finally defeated the Republican Samuel Tilden from New York after the Senate Electoral Commission decided the dispute. The final electoral vote was 185 to 184. President Hayes returned to Spiegel Grove in Fremont, Ohio where he passed away in 1893.

No comments: