Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bird Watching: Cooper Hawk



Saturday morning dawned bright and beautiful. The day was forecasted to be hot. My dog got me up early for her morning routine including going out and getting the paper. I had brewed myself a fresh cup of coffee, settled into the couch, and opened the morning newspaper. This Saturday routine is so peaceful; the perfect beginning to the weekend. Part way through reading about the impending hurricane, movement outside my large picture window caught my eye. The movement proceeded a major crash. It sounded like, whatever hit the window had shattered it. The dog quickly scooted up the stairs. I immediately peered over the couch and out the window and down to the ground looking for the cause of the "big bang". Birds hit the window frequently. The window reflects the surround trees and creates a deceptive "forest" view that has caused more than one bird a perilous end. Today, however, the bird that hit the window was a large dove. As soon as I spied the unfortunate bird laying almost motionless on the mulch, it breathed its last breath. Suddenly, a cooper hawk swept in. Wow! The situation was becoming more clear now. This hawk had been chasing the dove and was swooping in to collect its trophy. To my amazement, my camera was sitting on the coffee table. Grabbing it, turning it on and focusing all in one graceful movement, I quickly snapped two shots of the hawk and one of its trophy. The hawk must have seen my movement in the window and quickly grabbed at the dove, only to miss. It quickly retreated to a tree, watching carefully over its prize. After fifteen minutes the hawk charged its prize, grabbing in vein and flying off. I was left in awe, torn between sadness and amazement. After a long moment of gazing down at the dove, I decided to return to my paper and just watch to see what, if anything would unfold. After an hour, the hawk had not returned. I headed out to provide a resting place for the dove. This Saturday morning was certainly not routine.   To learn more about the cooper hawk, click here

No comments: