Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Left My Heart in San Francisco



One of the truly wonderful things about my job is that I periodically travel to conferences and workshops. Many times those conferences are held in wonderful places. This last conference took me and several colleagues to the wonderful city of San Francisco. For we Midwesterns who were enjoying 6 degree temperatures the 60 degree temperatures and spring flowers were a delight. I was even more blessed when my special friend Kathy from Salt Lake City was be able to join me over the weekend. Beyond the wonderful learning that the conference brought, and the great comments after the presentation by myself and my colleagues; my spirit was further renewed while enjoying the fellowship of a dear friend while walking many miles through San Francisco and along the pier. We enjoyed a sun filled morning walking through a fresh market on Saturday. The stroll along Pier One in the fresh morning air was enhanced by the competing smells of fresh breads and rolls mingling with aromas from eggs and bacon.  Continuing a walk along the Pier we were inspired by the numerous runners enjoying the flats.  San Fran was an inviting place for a run and we were both planning our run. The morning turned to noon and we found a wonderful place for a delicious bread bowl of crab bisque that we savored while sitting in the sun and watching the people pass by. Our stroll took us to Fort Mason and wonderful views of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. At our turning point we stopped at Ghirardelli's for a dark hot fudge sundae. Yum! By this point in the afternoon the crowd along the pier had increased making walking like a canoe ride upstream.  As the day folded into evening we arrived back at our hotel on the edge of Chinatown. Our dinner plans took us into Chinatown where we enjoyed a scrumptious meal. The after dinner walk included a brief exploration of Chinatown before calling it a day. And what a truly wonderful day it was! 

No comments: